Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Incoherent Blur...

Is it just me or does it seem like sometimes treatments tend to be a big blur of just STUFF that happens to and around you, the patient, but you're kinda just there for it? I feel very blurry about the crazy amount of stuff happening lately in regards to treatment for my RSD/CRPS(ahhh, yes, some people only know what I'm talking about if I say CRPS. It's a new day and age for my disorder v_v). I will try to get it straight however for anyone reading, if anyone is.

So the much anticipated California appointment was a bust, sort of. It was not what I was hoping it would be. The doctor I went to see does not, after all, do ketamine infusions the way that garnishes pain relief(bathing the nerves in ketamine, basically a 4-hour infusion over the course of multiple days to achieve a certain dosage level), he only does them for about an hour a day about once a week. Everything I have read says that will be a waste, and he told me himself he hasn't seen any patients get any effective relief from them anyway so I'm not going to do the ketamine infusions with that doctor. The option to find another doctor that accepts insurance and does the effective protocol is still an option should I decide to look into it again in the future so that's nice, having an extra option in my back pocket and all.

However, the doctor did suggest a treatment plan instead of the ketamine infusions. He was a great doctor, very nice and seemed to know his stuff about RSD which is something I don't tend to come across often with my doctors, with the rare exception here and there. He did a thorough initial exam to be sure it wasn't a misdiagnosis(routine, my mom was ready to be pissed if he said it wasn't RSD but I get why he has to make sure the doctors before him weren't morons that threw out restless leg syndrome for a muscle cramp, if that makes sense) and I appreciated how gentle he knew to be with my limbs and back. Though just to lessen the suspense, I do still have RSD according to the good doc. :P I am to start a couple new medications, I am going to work on getting into an inpatient pain rehabilitation program, likely at Mayo Clinic here in Arizona if they are equipped for my condition, but if not we're hoping for Stanford next. The doctor also recommended lidocaine infusions in the meantime if it takes a while to get into the program, just to get me through the pain and last until then.

So, I will be starting Naltrexone for the next two weeks (for central nervous system disorder, not heroin addiction you google junkies! :P) and will be writing about how that goes in case anyone else is considering starting it and wants a perspective from someone just starting it. Then I will start oral ketamine after that and be taking them both together from then on. I will keep writing on how it goes, wish me no unpleasant side effects.... :/ *nervous*

No comments:

Post a Comment