Sunday, August 26, 2012

Starting Compounded Ketamine Capsules...

I was extremely nervous to start this medication, I think being reminded how much it's abused as a "party drug" really turned me off to the idea of taking it every day as a pill. I'm just not a big fan of medications, the less the better for me, and I hate the "druggy high" side effect that a lot of strong medications tend to give you so I wasn't looking forward to what I assumed this one was going to be like.

My doctor prescribed 1-3 capsules, 3 times daily, and basically left it up to me to decide how many felt right for my pain levels from day to day. Well, paranoid me and not knowing much about ketamine, I figured I'd work up on it slowly just to be cautious, that's what I've always been told to do with every other medication, so it's not like it could hurt anything. The first two days I took just one, and hadn't felt anything so I moved up to two for the next two days. I still didn't feel anything. No pain relief, nothing at all. Today I'm starting to move up to all three in one day, and if I still do fine on that for a couple days I'll start taking more at morning, afternoon and night. Hopefully it'll start working on my pain a bit, because the Naltrexone still isn't doing anything but getting me to sleep, and it's not as strong as it was that first week. I mean, that's nice, I don't start to pass out where I'm standing 20 minutes after taking it, just feeling like I could lay down and get to sleep an hour or two after, but I'm not sleeping as long anymore.

Also, my attempts to get into Scottsdale Mayo Clinic for the inpatient pain rehab program were a bust. :/ My condition sucks too much, apparently everything I've already tried and had fail makes them think they can't do anything more for me. So, Stanford is my next shot! Not my last shot, but the next one. It will be hard to be a month or more away from my family and friends for such intense physical therapy and such, but that should get me pretty far. And maybe I can try a lidocaine infusion with my doctor at USC while I'm back in California.... If I can talk myself into trying it. x_x

No comments:

Post a Comment